Wednesday 18 January 2012

Interview: Tim Hopgood.

After 20 years working as a graphic designer Tim Hopgood decided to take the plunge and become a freelance illustrator. He has gone on to write and illustrate picture books, even winning the Best Emerging Illustrator at the Booktrust Early Years Awards. He was kind enough to answer our quick 10.

What is your greatest achievement? 
Happiness.

How would you describe your work/style to someone who hadn't seen it? 
My work is colourful, graphic and bold. I try to keep it looking as fresh and spontaneous as possible.

What piece/product/design do you wish you had thought of? 
I love the energy and style of the 1950s LP covers designed by David Stone Martin for Verve Records.

Who would you most like to collaborate with? 
Tricia Guild. I'd like to see my work used on fabric or wallpaper.

What is the worst job you have had? 
Early morning cleaner was definitely the hardest!

If you were on Death Row, what would your last meal be? 
Macaroni Cheese (please can the top be very crispy!) with lots of ketchup (Heinz).

What is the greatest movie of all time? 
Goodfellas - great characters, fantastic story telling, art direction and styling.

What do you dislike most about popular culture? 
500 channels of cheap TV. Less is more!

What is the greatest invention of all time? 
The radio.

If you didn't do what you do. What would you do? 
I always quite liked the idea of being a chef, but I'm not sure I could stand the heat!
all images courtesy of timhopgood.com

No comments:

Post a Comment